I recently got to spend time in Chicago with my sister’s family one last time before heading back to Kenya. It was an awesome time and part of that was because I got to take all of the kids on their own individual dates! Poor Ry had to wait the longest though, almost a week before we could hang just us. (We went to this bounce house obstacle course thing… I have a whole new respect for the people on Survivor!) Anyways, here’s a sample of our conversations leading up to the bounce house:
Ry: “Ali, when do WE get to go on our special date?”
Ali: “Wednesday Ry, that’s our day!”
Ry: “How many days is it until Wednesday?”
Ali: “5 more days kiddo…” “4 more days…” “only 3 more days Ry!”
You get the picture. Well, now that I’m so close to returning to Kenya, I find myself asking myself those same questions! “Wait, how many more days?” Or as friends in Kenya say, “How many more sleeps?!” Only 3 sleeps left and I find myself sleepless. I am just so excited to get back and spend time with my friends!
- get international driver’s permit – CHECK!
- secure housing in Nairobi – CHECK!
- submit lease extension for condo – CHECK!
- shop at SAM’s for peanut butter to take back – CHECK!
- complete taxes – CHECK!
- finalize GCM paperwork – CHECK!
- do laundry and pack – almost a CHECK!
- eat grapes (which are too expensive to buy in Nairobi) – CHECK!
All that’s left to do is spend tomorrow sewing with my mom, finish my packing, and say only a handful of goodbyes…
- thankful for this time at home – CHECK!
- excited to get back to Amani Ya Juu & Nairobi to see people I love – CHECK!